Priority Issue List
- Enhancing Algorithmic Transparency: How can public policy enhance algorithmic transparency and accountability while protecting against political or commercial manipulation?
- Algorithms & Quality News: How can we ensure that algorithms identify and promote fact-based, independent journalism?
- Evolving Technology & Media: How will evolving technology and media formats change societal expectations for and relationships with news?
Economic Support for News
- Building News Sustainability: How can public policy address economic support for independent, competitive journalism without creating political or legacy bias?
- Modernizing Copyright Law: How can copyright law be modernized in a way that benefits independent, competitive journalism and an open internet?
Information & Cybersecurity
- Journalists & Cyber Threats: How can we better ensure the digital security of the press and protect against cyber threats?
- Deepfakes & Manipulated Images: How do we protect societies from manipulated imagery?
- Artificial Intelligence in Journalism: How do we enable the benefits and manage the harms of artificial intelligence in journalism?
News Engagement & Innovation
- Building News Relevance: How can the news media remain relevant, particularly with young audiences and underserved communities?
- Enhancing News Diversity: How can public policy enhance an open, innovative environment for a diverse press?
Open Distrubution & Access
- Open Distribution of News: What are sustainable models for open distribution and consumption of news and information?
- Protecting an Open Internet: How can we discourage the development of ‘splinternets’ and encourage the protection of an open internet?
Online Harms & Disinformation
- Journalists & Online Abuse: How can we better protect the press from online harassment and abuse?
- Addressing “Awful but Lawful” Content: How do we address online content that is “awful but lawful”?
- Addressing Disinformation: How can we ensure that mechanisms to stem disinformation aren’t used to restrict press independence or free speech?